I’ve received a few questions about my Refit build. I’ll post some of the questions and answers here. This set comes from BM7337 on the SciFi model Action Forum:
- Is it my understanding you used a flat white instead of primer?
The entire model was painted with Tayima grey Primer. The Base coat is Tayima Matt White. I applied three base coats, wet sanding between each application.
- Did you airbrush the saucer with this color and did the airbrush have the volume to do that?
The base coat was applied using rattle cans. An air brush should have no issue covering this kit. You use a lot less paint than you think when airbrushing.
- What kind of paint did you use on the bridge did you use duck egg blue for some of the color on the bridge and what color did you use on the dome of the bridge its hard to tell from the pictures on google.
The bridge dome is white. I did not use Duck Egg Blue at all. I used the Trek Modeler Refit Paint Guide as my reference and then I custom mixed my paint from Tayima Field Blue and Grey. I’m building my kit as the Enterprise-A which has a much more muted paint scheme.
- How did you paint the little strip with hash marks on the front of the bridge did you mask it off and paint it a shade of duck egg blue? If so how did you get the hash marks to stand out?
I used a Q-Tip to place a drop of white on each mark and gently wipe away the excess, leaving the hash mark white.
- Did you use the pearl white color for the final coat?
No. The Enterprise-A does not have a pearl paint scheme. That was lost when the studio model was being prepped for Star Trek V. I didn’t use any pearl coats or interference colors.
- How did you cut the holes in the masking tape to match the exact pattern of the squares or doors on the saucer?
I placed masking tape over the doors, pushed the tape into the panel lines and then cut them out with an exacto knife.